Complete Streets Forum, May 27
Join the Toronto Centre for Active Transportation (TCAT) at the sixth annual active transportation conference – the Complete Streets Forum 2013 – May 27, 2013 at the Hyatt Regency Toronto. The Share the Road Cycling Coalition Ontario Bike Summit 2013 will take place on May 28-29th at the same location. We are pleased to offer joint registration for both conferences at a discounted rate.
Get ready for a day of fresh, innovative, and inspired ideas from some of North America’s most sought after authorities on Complete Streets. This year’s Forum program features a blend of mobile and hands-on workshops, plenary speakers, breakout sessions, round table discussions, and posters centering on our three themes:
- Motivators and Accelerators: pop-up projects; new approaches to community engagement; children’s mobility as a motivator for Complete Streets; wide open possibilities of making and re-making streets in the suburbs
- Challenges and Compromises: real-world case studies of innovative Complete Streets design and implementation in Toronto, Ottawa, Niagara, and London UK
- Economic, Health & Safety Outcomes, Impacts & Advances: research to support separated bike lanes; evidence-based tools for cycling adoption; economic benefits of wayfinding; Walk Friendly Ontario assessment tool
We are thrilled to welcome these esteemed keynote speakers:
- Dr. David McKeown, Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health (read about Toronto Public Health’s groundbreaking reports here)
- Stephen Buckley, Toronto’s new General Manager of Transportation recruited from Philadelphia where he was responsible for the Complete Streets Design Handbook released in 2012
- Jennifer Keesmaat, Toronto’s new chief planner and vocal advocate of walking and cycling
- Jerry Dobrovolny, P.Eng, MBA, Director of Transportation for the City of Vancouver, responsible for implementing the Transportation 2040 Plan approved by Council in 2012 with ambitious multi-modal targets of two-thirds of all trips to be made by foot, bike or transit
- Timothy Papandreou, Deputy Director of Sustainable Streets for the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, who develops and implements the agency’s economically competitive, sustainable mobility goals through integrated, multi-modal transportation plans, Complete Street design projects, and programs to reduce private auto trips.
- Gabe Klein, Chicago Transportation Commissioner, responsible for implementing 100 miles of protected bike lanes in Toronto’s sister city.
Be exposed to new ways of thinking, be engaged by high caliber presenters, and be encouraged by new research, best practices and creative solutions for designing and implementing safe and inviting streets for all. Register for the Complete Streets Forum today!
Hyatt Regency Toronto, 370 King Street West